Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Inertia in the age of instant gratification

Sitting down to write today is hard, I have been trying to decide on a good topic to share with you and nothing is coming to mind. So I did the only thing I could think of to get the creative process started: went and took a shower. Sure enough an idea came to me: Inertia. That is the problem I am facing today and what I need to talk about.

Here is one of the biggest problems I have with making changes in my life: I want to see results now! Not in a week or a month or even a year but today. I hate waiting for my hard work to pay off. We have to overcome our personnel inertia if we want to change our lives. This inertia is both a good and a bad thing. The bad: At the beginning it makes our job harder as the friction and gravity of our old habits hold us back. The good: When we have good habits in place that same force of personnel inertia will help carry us forward and keep us on track.


But what exactly is personnel inertia: simply put it is the tendency we all have to keep doing the same things we have always been doing. We feel safe and comfortable in our daily ruts even if we are not happy where they are leading us. No matter how hard it may seem we have to keep on trying to change and learning how to make the best decisions possible.

So as we push our selves along I encourage you to keep at it and keep working on the things you need to change. I know I will be. And if you have any tips or tricks for keeping motivation alive in the face of personnel inertia feel free to share in the comments below.

0 comments:

Post a Comment