Thursday, January 7, 2010

Finding the eye of the storm


This week has been hectic for me to say the least. I start school next week and my partner is on his winter break, there are so many errands to run and so little time to do everything. Today I have decided that it is my day I need time to collect my self and sit quietly doing the things I enjoy.

It is important in my mind to be able to find peace and stillness in a way that works for you. For me a quite day hunting around the internet for interesting things to look at is a good day, maybe playing some video games and reading up on a new RPG I want to play. Would this work for my other half, not a chance he would be bored and wanting to go some were or if feeling a bit more low energy he would rather work on an art project. The point here is that you need know what is rest full for you, were you find relaxation and not try to emulate others when it is time to rest.

For most of us the hardest part about resting is finding the time. The problem with this is it is not about finding time but about making time. We are in complete control of our own schedules even if we do not feel like we are. Every action we take, every meeting we set, every minute we spend doing something happens because that is what we decided to do. Not every moment may be spent the way we want but it is still better then the alternative. If we choose to not go to work we don't get paid, if we choose not to go to school we don't get good grades and so on. By knowing that we set our schedule and understanding that we have the power to decide what we want to do we can find that moment of peace, the eye of the storm.

One problem most people make when they budget there time is that they treat time to rest as a luxury rather then a necessity. Every day that we go with out time to relax and focus on the things we enjoy doing degrades our ability to deal with stressful situations. Our ability to foucus suffers, our tempers become shorter and our willingness to listen to others advice erodes. I am remnded of my father, an avid tennis player, he worked hard all week to suport our family. Saturday and sunday mornings were his time to get out to the courts play a few sets. If we had plans to do something as a family for the weekend we made sure that he still got to go play, he would come home much more relaxed and happier. He had found his peace.

0 comments:

Post a Comment