Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Sensible relife


Some times in life we find ourselves with our backs up against the wall. Whether this is financial, emotional or stress related it happens to all of us from time to time. When we find ourselves in that situation we want to rant to cry out and scream but this never does us any good. So what can we do when we feel beaten down with nowhere to go? We have to keep on keeping on. We need to stand tall plant our feet and say I will not back down, and then we start looking for solutions. These solutions may not be easy, they may not be what we want and they may not make us happy but they will allow us to keep going.

When we have to make choices we do not want to we still must remember they are our choices, and there are lessons to be learned from each of them. When making a choice between options that we don't like all we can do is find what is safest, and offers the best chance of growth and positive escape from the situation. I say positive escape since there are many things which can dull the pain of stress, financial worries and heartache but these are just temporary distractions from the problem. What we need to choose is the choice that brings a sensible relief.

Sensible relief is that which brings us closer to where we want to be, maintains the standard of living we want (it is important to note here that this what we want not what we are told to want), and still supports our values and commitments.

5 comments:

Admin said...

When put into a situation like this it is good to just take a nice deep breath, relax, and think about "Real" solutions to the problem. Ranting and screaming your head off will not solve the situation, it will only make it worse. Find the source rather than mask your symptoms. Thanks Quinn for another great post!

Anonymous said...

I like the term 'sensible relief'. I like that you are seeking out the balances of energy in life, it can be difficult at times to surf these waves in a society that thrives on extremes. I applaud you for the effort.

Aine

Quinn said...

Travis-- You are welcome. A deep breath and real solutions are the way to go.

Aine-- Balance is the key to life i think. If we are constantly flinging ourselves from one extreme to another we waste so much time and energy. If we stay balanced and centered we will find the things we want are within our reach most of the time.

Cait said...

I find this issue of balance really confounding -- i usually use the term moderation myself. On the one hand, I believe that moderation is absolutely key to forward motion. I know that when I am balanced and engage in different activities of my life in moderation, I move forward and have consistency and feel good.

On the other hand, sometimes when i really obsess on something and spend waaaay too much time on it to the detriment of everything else in my life, I also do my best work. I think creativity coach Eric Maisel offers a lot of good advice on maintaining the balance while allowing yourself to be obsessively passionate in his books.

Quinn said...

I am not trying to talk down obsevie creative behaviors, i think that there is a place for them. But I know I have a tendency to obsess on a project to avoid other things that I do not want to do.

As for balance I like the visual it creates for me, it reminds me of surfing or maybe standing on a wobbling platform while moving and something try to push you off. Well yea like I said it reminds me of surfing.

Post a Comment