Monday, August 22, 2011

We all Deserve to be Remembered

Several months ago a young skateboarder died at an intersection I pass by every day on my way to school. Since his death there has been a constant outpouring of remembrance on that corner. Chalk art, signs, letters from his aunt. This was this morning's offering.
While I did not know the young man, I have found I feel a certain connection to him through these gifts and tributes left to him. In addition, there is something here that makes me feel hopeful.

These mementos say clearly this person was loved. This is proof that people care for each other and that we are all special and worthy of celebration. We must remember this not just when people are gone, but while they are in our lives. We also must honor our own selves as worthy of celebration and love.

0 comments:

Post a Comment