Monday, December 21, 2009

The friends of personal growth: part 1 Honesty


We have spent a good bit of time talking about things to avoid when trying to make changes in our lives, procrastination, distractions, and doubts just to name a few. Lets call these the enemies of personal development. With the holiday season directly on top of us now I thought it would be nice to shift from talking about personal growths enemies and start talking about its friends. So lets get started I would like to introduce you to the first friend of personal growth, Honesty.

Honesty may be the closest friend the personnel growth has. This is the friend that is willing to call growth on the mistakes it makes and on the areas were it needs more work. If we do not look at our lives with honesty and decrement we will never even acknowledge the real problems in our lives. If we never acknowledge the problem we will never work on it and all our change will be for nothing.

We all have truths in our lives that we do not want to face, things we do not want to talk about even in the privacy of our own head. These are the things we have done that bring us shame or the impulses we do not want to control even though we know they are bad for us. To avoid these subjects we tell our self lies and either ignore the problem or adress a symtom rather then look for a cure.

An example: Maintaining a healthy diet is something i strive to do but do not have all that much luck with most of the time. As some of you may remember I have had successes giving up soda but this is not the real problem but just a symptom. The core of the problem is composed of two factors: I want food which is quick and easy and I have a horrible sweet tooth. To correct my bad eating behaviors (a package of Oreos is not dinner) I have to be honest with my self about the source of the problem and only then can I start to correct it.

Being on honest with our selves is the place to start whenever we look at our lives whether we want to change or not. Chance are however if we do take the time to make an honest assessment of were we are today we will see some areas were we want to grow or change. Honesty loves to talk but things that few people ever listen to what it has to say. So lets take Honesty's coat and hat and show it over to the punch bole and ask for it's opinion while we wait for some of personnel developments other friends to arrive.

4 comments:

Henri @ Wake Up Cloud said...

I'm huge on honesty so I'm glad you brought it up here. I want 100% honesty in my relationships with others and with my friends, without it I cannot function properly.

Quinn said...

@Henri that is so true if we do not give others our honest and expect the same from them we are setting ourselves up for failure in our friendships and other relationships.

Eric said...

I believe honesty is the greatest gift we have in life. With it we can be anything and achieve anything our heart desires and get exactly where we want to go.

without it we are doomed to fail and be miserable. It's a choice we must all decide on every day as we wake up and open our eyes to a new world in front of us.

What do we do? Be honest and take a chance and go for life or lie and steal from ourselves and fail to be and have success and be miserable?

I'll take the high road to life called honesty. Nice words here.

Quinn said...

@Eric I like the image that lying is steeling from our selves. I need to keep that one in mind when I try to concoct excuses for not doing the things I should be doing

Post a Comment