Thursday, November 19, 2009

Setting aside your doubts

The biggest stumbling block in the process of changing my life is doubts. I doubt that I can succeed at what I set out to do, I doubt my skills and I doubt the encouragement I get along the way. I am sure this not a problem that is unique to me, most of us struggle with our doubts. So how can we put aside out doubts and move forward?

I feel the first step in this is setting aside our fear of failure. We doubt our selves because we treat failure as a risk rather than a teacher. If we look to the experience of loosing as something we can grow from it goes from being an ending to being just another tool of self development.

The second tool for overcoming our doubts is to remember that it is better to fail by doing then fail by not doing. If we take no action there will be no result; that is guaranteed, if we take action, if we try to make a change then there is a chance of a positive outcome.

That said there is one doubt that when it comes to mind we must examine. When that nagging voice in the back of our head is saying “is this the right thing to do?” we must sit down and look for what that little voice is really saying. Sometimes what this voice says is I'm scared and in that case refer to the two previous paragraphs. Other time what the little voice is saying is this does not agree with our values we should not do this. Then it is time to redesign the action. Think about how the result your are trying for and how can it be achieved in a way that does not comprise who you are and who you want to be.

Doubts are the greatest single hazard on the journey to living the life we want. If we cannot find solutions for dealing with doubt we may never start on the journey at all. So I ask you when doubt rears its ugly head in your life how do you deal with it. Let us know in the comments.

0 comments:

Post a Comment