Monday, January 3, 2011

A Poblem and a Solution

There are some lessons I seem to never learn. One example is that I have a tendency to bite off more than I can chew and then push myself to do it. After it is done I have to waste time recovering from all the extra effort I have put out.

What I did

To preface this is a scenario that has played out on at least three occasions so you would think that I would have learned by now. Here are the facts: I own a bike, I do not work in the town where I live, I do not have a car and I do not ride my bike often. So with this in mind I have on several occasions when I could not find a ride to work decided it would be a good idea to ride my bike. It is 7 miles to work and I work early in the morning. If you do not ride a bike often the seats can be uncomfortable for long rides and the muscles you use are rather different then the ones you use to walk. By the time I get to work I am already tired and just a bit late and still have to work my full shift.

What I should be doing

Start riding my bike more often. With training and practice I should be able to make the 7 mile ride without many problems. I do need to start with shorter daily rides to condition myself and build the muscles used in riding a bike. There will be other benefits from this as well, a good source of exercise and generally greater mobility around town.

0 comments:

Post a Comment