Monday, April 12, 2010

The journey to here part 1: making the rock


I have been asked to write about how I got to where I was when I started this blog. I think this is something that I need to explore and maybe understand better myself. I will be trying to work thought this on Monday for the next few weeks. Here goes.

At the moment I decide to start-up from the ashes I was dissatisfied with my life. My relationship with the man I love was falling apart, we were under financial pressure, there were no jobs to be had, and I did not know what to do about it, or the cause of all the hardship I was facing. In the flood of all this uncertainty I needed to find a rock to cling to. I started to look around but there were no rocks in sight, hell it felt like there was no land in sight. So I decided to stop panicking and make a rock for myself.

I started a process which I have referred to in the past as life mapping. I listed my desires, values, commitments and passions; as well as my strengths and weaknesses. Once I had all that I looked it over and deseeded I would be going back to school for a career in journalism. What I also realized is that in this modern world if I want to write for a living I need some place to show off what I can do. This was the impetus to start the blog. Like a lot of bloggers I had hopes of making an income from my blog, it has not happened yet, but the blog has become an important part of my life.

Weather I want to or not I need to talk about the things that led up to the flood, I need to understand those forces for I find that they are still affecting my life and threatening to pull my feet out from under me again and again and again.